Monday, December 8, 2008

Change Agent: J.Kwest is Julian DeShazier




If you were to describe your craft to a room full of people who knew nothing about you, what would you tell them?

J.Kwest is the Inspiration for the Next Generation...the Soundtrack to Try Harder, Love Deeper, and Go Higher. If you are upset your music has lost its activist edge, have no fear! The Renaissance has returned, and J.Kwest is the leader of a new brand of music.

Why did you decide upon this medium as your form of expression?

I belong to the hip-hop generation and have always appreciated rap's ability to be creative yet speak prophetically to any situation. Although hip-hop has taken a sharp right turn into the heart of consumerism, I still believe in the power of good music to liberate young folks and open up their potential to be "change agents" for themselves. Good songs do what no sermon, speech, or article can accomplish, and all of these forms are necessary. I've always wanted to represent the power of MUSIC.


I Am (Obama) from red green on Vimeo.

What is Change and are people ready for it to affect them directly?

Change is first the awareness that any given REALITY has an even higher POSSIBILITY: What we experience can be better. The awareness is followed by a Commitment to working towards that possibility. The moment we become aware we are changed forever, and our commitment signals our readiness to change the world around us. We are already Changed, and it's a short distance for this generation to be ready to CHANGE. They just have to know it's possible, and it begins within.

What has been the best response to your brand of Change so far?

The press is great (and necessary) but the personal emails touch me most. These come from hard working folks who just want to tell me they listen to my cd every day, when they work out or on the way to work. When I hear people say, "this song changed the way I think about this situation." That lets me know I'm helping folks become what they are called to be.

What is the title of the book about your life?


"The Kingdom Within: Rediscovering God, Self, and the World Every Day" (alternate title: "Atta Boy")

Where can people interested in you find your work find you and how can they support you?


The Hub for PureMusic is at www.jkwest.com. You can find me everywhere else on the web from there. Support by visiting the site and joining the beloved PureMusic community. Eventually you'll buy a cd, but if you let your friends know about J.Kwest and this unique brand of music, we'll all grow together. Tell a Friend, Tell Again...Change has Come. lov

6 comments:

Chisholm72 said...

FYI - I had never heard of this blog until today, but because it featured J Kwest yesterday, I will be checking it out more regularly. I am 20 years older than J Kwest, but I still consider him a role model. He inspires me and gives me hope for the future. Thanks for putting him a well deserved spotlight.

CaesarKwest said...

First, THANK YOU ALL for your exposure of PureMusic and what this community is trying to do. We are here and looking to make an impact that transcends music but definitely INCLUDES IT.

Know that the community is going to support you now. Cause that's how we do. Whether they comment or not is another issue, lol, but we'll be supporting a lil bit of change from now on. Much Love

Grant said...

Thanks for taking the time to highlight my man Julian. He (and a lot others behind the scenes with him) have been working really hard for years now trying to be the change they wish to see. He's got the heart and genius for change through our youth and needs more like you, A Lil Bit of Change, to continue to support! Thanks again!

CepEvans said...

I've been a fan...

Anonymous said...

J. Kwest is prophetic in the sense that he knows the power of music to touch the souls of the youth and speak their language.

I've known J for years and he constantly inspires me to BE Better...the man works hard and he a true vision!

PUREMUSIC...the kind of music you can play in front of your momma and not have to turn down the volume when the expletives come up! But don't call him a "Gospel rapper"....J. Kwest is a DOPE emcee with true lyrical genius.

I Am (Obama) is just the start...just you wait!

clarknyss said...

This is definitely a beautiful thing to see. I am extremely proud of my brother J. Kwest and also proud of my brothers behind this blog.

But beyond that that, the music is GOOD, and the talent level behind these blogs, and videos is spectacular. Stay grinding ya'll.


Peace and Love.

A Lil Bit of Ticker Tape