Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Change Agent: Nastassia A. Davis

ALBC is blessed to be counted among the growing number of people who are familiar with the work of Nastassia Davis, this weeks' featured Agent of Change. Get to know the woman and her visual masterpieces for yourself, here's a sampling: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aarika/

If you were to describe your craft to a room full of people who knew nothing about you, what would you tell them?

I take all of my own photos in the privacy of my own home. It’s all about making magical images from my life or my imagination but using composition and Photoshop to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary. Self-portraiture allows complete control over every element of the shot, enabling a different character to be created in every image. Although in some images, I don’t see myself at all. Sometimes, I disappear.

What starts a Nastassia portrait? All I need is a spark of inspiration: a song, a garment, crimps in my hair after I’ve unraveled the braids; I might spy myself in a mirror across the room and feel the sudden urge to capture it on camera. It’s the fascination of sometimes becoming something entirely different from which I am really in reality.


Why did you decide upon this medium as your form of expression?


I’ve always loved photography. When I was 14, my father gave me his old rolleiflex camera and taught me how to use it. Everywhere I went, that camera went with me too. In college, I took up a digital photography course where I learned the basic essentials of editing in Photoshop. This camera and digital processing quickly took over film because of the instant gratification I received.

It’s easiest to use myself as the model in most cases, because not always is someone else available.

What is Change and are people ready for it to affect them directly?

Change is having a fearless spirit. Change is sacrifice. Change is commitment. We have the power to turn our lives and communities around for the better if we just stay focused and remain fearless. As a whole, this nation is clearly ready for change. Whether people realize it or not, it’s happening right before our eyes. They’ve spoken by just electing the first African-American President of the United States of America! If that doesn’t scream change on a monumental scale, then I don’t know what does.

What has been the best response to your brand of Change so far?

Having my portrait “Rosa (Parks) -Yes, We Can!” printed in a leading U.K newspaper, the Guardian. Also, it’s published in a book entitled “A Message for Obama” which is available for purchase now:

The proceeds will go to a charity to help get clean water to the civilians of Uganda. I am very proud of this achievement and it only pushes me to create and come up with more lovely portraits!

What is the title of the book about your life?

It’s still being written! I’m far from where I want to be with my craft. Give me about a year, at least. I should have something enticing to call it by then. =)

Where can people interested in you find your work find you and how can they support you?

My best work has yet to come. However, what I have thus far can be found on my flickr gallery under “Personal Works.” www.flickr.com/aarika. I’m working on a slew of new portraits and also collaborating with other artists in the future as well. Those interested in supporting me can sign up to flickr now (it’s free!) and check back often for new material. Most importantly, I encourage you to leave messages and comments under the photos you like. I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.

Why does everybody need A Lil Bit of Change?


Us young freedom fighters need somewhere to call home, don’t we?

19 comments:

Karol said...

Nastassia,

Your art and vigor are a true inspiration. What better way to help promote change then by using your own work of art! You are an incredibly talented young woman. Our Generation needs more people like you! Keep up the good work.

Truly,
Karol Escobar
San Francisco, CA

blueswino said...

I discovered Ms. Davis as I stumbled upon one of her galleries she graciously put online.
As I pursued my visual contemplation, I noticed we had a thing in common. She is also an admirer of Janelle Monae. But the comparison stops there.
This imaginative, colourful artist takes you to a world made of Reality and transformed through her eye to a delicate and sensual imagery...Self-portraiture is one of her shooting choices, but she also has this particular sensibility to embellish what is beautiful : soft black skins...voluptuous hair...striking expressions...glimpses and snapshots of real life...whether or not it is edited with fantastic additions of her seemingly boundless but focused vision, she produced a very interesting work. The messages underlying it are to be found out by YOU only. Relax and see. Look. Take your time. Enter. No come back. I'm under a spell. No regrets.
Wish you the best Ms Davis. Art is change in itself ;)

Dhruvi said...

Nastassia,

You are one of the most stunning people I've ever met, inside and out. You've already achieved so much in life and are still one of the most humble people I know. I never lost faith in you and always knew you were meant for something big in life. Your art is beautiful and inspirational and is always so very positive. The best part is, I've always been able to connect with your art on a personal level. Your inner beauty always shines through your photographs! I wish you nothing but the best in life!! Keep doing big things and spreading the light of change!!

xoxo

Dhruvi

Unknown said...

Nastassia is tremendously gifted, yet remains so humble. But don’t be fooled – she’s fierce, confident and has such an eye and passion for visual art, so many people have been blessed by her creativity. If you’re so fortunate to work with her, you’ll find your own light comes bursting through – and Nastassia’s energy just does that, with her ready to capture it on film! Her work to date is inspiring, but what she expects of herself is infinite. She's always growing, changing, and evolving - it will blow our minds to see what she'll come up with in the future.

Nastassia, for me Art is a spiritual journey and your work always helps me to discover something new. Congratulations on your past achievements, and many blessings for your biggest dreams! I can’t wait to see!

Unknown said...

I have known Nastassia for about 4-5 years now and have witnessed her talent grow and touch people's hearts like no other. Her pictures are like songs; they tell stories. Whether they be black and white or color, modern or periodic, Nastassia has always taken risks with her photography. When she combines her skills with modern techniques such as photoshop, her message in the photo becomes clear and definitely stands out as unique.

After having the opportunity to be a model for some of her shoots, I have gained utmost respect for her as an artist and as a friend. She is open to ideas, yet, stays true to her art, which is a reflection of her depth and perception. No commercial gimmicks here!

Extremely unique, very avant-garde. Very new age. She's way ahead of her time.

Good luck always,
-Disha

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J. Genius said...

We are all inspired by Nastassia's works - her images are bold and her imagination is infinite! ALBC is honored to recognize her as an agent of Change, a Change we can SEE!

Anonymous said...

I've just come to know Nastassia's work and have been obsessed since. We are witnessing the development of a true emerging artist and I'm just waiting for Nastassia to completely rock my socks in 2009!

artsyfox84 said...

Truly an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I literally ran into Nastassia through photo site on Flickr.com, looking a a piece in which she captured a photo of herself in a dressing room and then mirrored the images to make them look as if they are looking at each other. Just facinating! I love her expression in her artwork and the thought process behing her projects. She has the perspective of change figured out and really develops concepts that are free spirited and full of positive energy. Though i don't know her persoanlly, I feel like I have met her before. But don't take my word for it, I invite to see for yourself! YOU GO GIRL!

Love,
BLAKbeans

johnknappe said...

as another person who's spent years in the industry working with thousands of individuals, everyday people and celebrities, there's something intriguing about your photos that one only finds every odd once in a blue moon. my father showed me how to use his camera, and then told me to hustle and save up and buy one. that was 17 years ago. ever since, i've been working and turned from hustling to creating, changing, bending, and whatnot, and it's shown me so many things about others and myself. my father threw his talent away on a life of hustling, drugs, prison, etc, which only pushed me farther. they say us artists have to be truly weird people to do what we do how we do it, but to see and understand what another artist does beyond what the average eye sees, one must appreciate and respect to the fullest. especially the work of someone like you. i would advise people to become infatuated with your work, and, if the best is yet to come, it'll be an amazement to see it pass what has already.

john knappe
nyc, ny.

Michael said...

Nastassia is my favorite photographer!!

Anonymous said...

You're Amazing! You're Work is PHENOMENAL!

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful gift, and that will continue to grow and amaze all of us who already love your work and can't wait to see what you do next.

Anonymous said...

I found the talented Nastassia Davis surfing Flickr one day and was blown away. She is a rare talent and it makes me smile to see her work taking off. She's got a strength of character that comes from fearlessly using herself as the subject, and mad post-production skills that I can't help but be a twee bit envious of!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ruby said...

nastassia is a representation of the new generation molding, shifting, and taking back art as a means for positivity and change! obama sparked it, now we must follow and ignite.thank you for being.

much love, ruby

Anonymous said...

About two years ago, I came across a picture of a beautiful afro-american girl that "cloned" herself. The idea of "the multiple selfie" struck me as innovative so I subscribed to Nastassia's photostream on Flickr. I had the pleasure of watching the art of this young woman grow.
First of all she is a talented photographer, just check out her other - read not self portrait - work for that!

What makes her stand out however are her 'selfies'. The girl is a hell of an actress and a genious in serving us these wonderful illusions. Basically she is a powerhouse one woman production army: from the concept to the realization she masters it all. Director, photographer, stylist, model, actress, choreographer, stage designer, location scout, special effects, post production: she is pulling the strings. On top of that: there's always a message involved and that's the point where plain skills become art.

Like Obama this "change agent" has a special relationship with - and knows all about making good use of - the internet. She really values all comments very high from the people that are exposed to her work. She absorbs it and pulls out inspiration and strength from it to do better. It's always good to know that the odd line you drop under a picture actually can sparkle a talented person's creativity!

Anonymous said...

About two years ago, I came across a picture of a beautiful afro-american girl that "cloned" herself. The idea of "the multiple selfie" struck me as innovative so I subscribed to Nastassia's photostream on Flickr. I had the pleasure of watching the art of this young woman grow.
First of all she is a talented photographer, just check out her other - read not self portrait - work for that!

What makes her stand out however are her 'selfies'. The girl is a hell of an actress and a genious in serving us these wonderful illusions. Basically she is a powerhouse one woman production army: from the concept to the realization she masters it all. Director, photographer, stylist, model, actress, choreographer, stage designer, location scout, special effects, post production: she is pulling the strings. On top of that: there's always a message involved and that's the point where plain skills become art.

Like Obama this "change agent" has a special relationship with - and knows all about making good use of - the internet. She really values all comments very high from the people that are exposed to her work. She absorbs it and pulls out inspiration and strength from it to do better. It's always good to know that the odd line you drop under a picture actually can sparkle a talented person's creativity!

A Lil Bit of Ticker Tape